Motorcycles are inherently dangerous. They have less protection for the rider than a car does for the driver, and they are more likely to be involved in an accident because they are more vulnerable to the negligence of others.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need the help of experienced and aggressive legal representation. At Howry, Breen & Herman, LLP, our Georgetown motorcycle accident attorneys are prepared to take on the insurance companies and the manufacturers of these dangerous vehicles to ensure that you are fairly compensated for your injuries and other losses.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
A motorcycle accident refers to a collision or incident involving a motorcycle, a two-wheeled motor vehicle, and potentially other vehicles, objects, or pedestrians. These accidents can vary in severity from minor incidents with minimal damage and injuries to catastrophic crashes resulting in severe injuries or fatalities. Motorcycle accidents are often caused by a combination of factors, including human error, environmental conditions, and vehicle-related issues.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents involving motor vehicles include:
- Driver Inattention/Distraction: The most frequent cause of motorcycle accidents involving other vehicles is when drivers of cars, trucks, or other motor vehicles fail to notice motorcycles due to distractions like texting, talking on the phone, or simply not paying attention.
- Left-Turn Accidents: When a motor vehicle makes a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle at an intersection, it can result in a collision. This often happens when the driver misjudges the motorcycle's speed or fails to see it.
- Lane Changes and Merging: Motorcycles can be less visible in a driver's blind spot, leading to accidents when a driver changes lanes or merges without checking properly.
- Rear-End Collisions: Motorcycles can stop more quickly than larger vehicles. If a driver follows a motorcycle too closely and doesn't brake in time, they may collide with the motorcycle from behind.
- Speeding: Excessive speed by both motorcycle riders and other motorists can reduce reaction time and increase the severity of accidents.
- Impaired Driving: Alcohol or drug impairment is a significant factor in many motorcycle accidents, both for motorcycle riders and other drivers.
- Reckless Driving: Aggressive or reckless behavior by any motorist can lead to accidents, including tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and excessive speeding.
- Failure to Yield Right of Way: Not yielding the right of way when required, such as at intersections, can result in collisions involving motorcycles and other vehicles.
- Weather Conditions: Rain, snow, ice, or other adverse weather conditions can make road surfaces slippery, reducing traction and increasing the risk of accidents for all vehicles, including motorcycles.
- Road Hazards: Potholes, debris, oil spills, and uneven road surfaces can be particularly hazardous for motorcyclists, as they lack the stability of four-wheeled vehicles.
- Inexperienced Riders/Drivers: Inexperienced motorcycle riders or drivers may struggle to handle their vehicles properly in various traffic situations.
- Mechanical Failures: Motorcycle or vehicle mechanical failures, such as brake failure or tire blowouts, can lead to accidents.
- Running Red Lights and Stop Signs: Violating traffic signals and signs can lead to dangerous intersections and collisions involving motorcycles.
Recovering Compensation After a Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycle accident victims can recover compensation for a wide range of damages, including the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disabilities
In many cases, the negligent party's insurance company will try to limit the amount of compensation you receive. They may try to blame you for the accident or claim that you were partially responsible for your injuries. That is why you need an attorney who can fight for your rights and prove that you were completely blameless for the accident. Our Georgetown motorcycle accident attorneys can fight back against these claims and prove that you are entitled to the maximum compensation you are owed under the law.
Why Choose Us?
If you or someone you love was involved in a motorcycle accident, you need help. Our Georgetown motorcycle accident lawyers can provide the legal representation you need to recover the compensation you deserve. We can help you fight for the maximum amount of damages and hold the negligent parties accountable for their actions. We are here to help you move forward after a motorcycle accident and put the incident behind you.