In particularly severe cases, an individual may suffer catastrophic injuries after an accident. Catastrophic injuries are classified as injuries that are disabling in nature. This can include traumatic brain injuries or spinal cord injuries, paralysis, accidental amputations, severe burns, or internal organ damage. In most cases, the medical treatment required for these types of injuries is extensive and ongoing. The cost of care, coupled with the loss of income/wages can prove a serious financial burden for the victim and his or her family.
Catastrophic injuries are also different from other types of injuries in that they can render the victim unable to perform any type of gainful work. In other words, a person who has suffered a catastrophic injury is not only unable to return to his or her previous employment, he or she is unable to work at all.
How Catastrophic Injuries Occur
Just as there are countless different types of accidents, catastrophic injuries can occur in any number of ways. Unfortunately, such injuries are often the result of another person, company, or entity’s negligence.
Catastrophic injuries commonly occur as a result of:
- Car, truck, or motorcycle accidents
- Sporting accidents (especially football and cheerleading)
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Golf cart and utility vehicle accidents
- Construction and oilfield accidents
- Defective products, including defective drugs and medical devices
- Medical malpractice
- Dangerous or defective premises
This list is not exhaustive; any type of severe accident can lead to catastrophic injuries. At Howry Breen & Herman, we assist victims of catastrophic injuries in their fight for a fair recovery.
While we regularly handle all types of catastrophic injury claims, we particularly focus on:
- Brain injuries: Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) often result in significant, permanent damage and limitations. Our firm has successfully represented victims of all types of TBIs—from concussions to coup-contrecoup injuries to skull fractures—fight for fair compensation for their current and future damages.
- Burn injuries: Severe burns are not only physically disfiguring, but they also leave lasting emotional scars. Our attorneys fight to help burn injury victims recover fair financial compensation for their ongoing medical expenses, future care, pain and suffering, and other life-altering damages.
- Spine injuries: A spinal cord injury can have numerous, long-lasting effects, from limited mobility to total paralysis and lifelong disability. At Howry, Breen & Herman, LLP, our attorneys fight to help victims of serious spine injuries recover the compensation they need to heal and move forward with their lives.
No matter how difficult or complex your case may be, our team is here to provide you with compassionate, one-on-one legal counsel and uncompromising representation from start to finish. With nearly 25 years of experience, including extensive litigation experience, we are well-equipped to try even the toughest of cases.
Fighting to Recover the Full and Fair Compensation You Are Owed
Catastrophic injuries have lasting, life-altering impacts, both for victims and their loved ones. Often, a close family member of the victim will have to take off work, either temporarily or permanently, in order to care for their loved one. The cost of mounting medical bills can be staggering, and the physical and emotional strain on victims and their families is often immense.
At Howry Breen & Herman, we understand just how difficult it is to move forward after a catastrophic injury. Our team strives to ease your stress in any way possible. Our Austin catastrophic injury attorneys can handle every aspect of your case so that you can focus on healing, and we always seek to recover the full settlement or verdict you are owed.