Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Austin
Client Focused. Results Driven.
An unexpected injury can have devastating effects on your life. When someone else’s negligence causes your injuries, you may be entitled to take legal action. At Howry Breen & Herman, we work tirelessly to protect the rights of injured victims in Austin, Georgetown, and the surrounding areas.
Since 1995, we have been helping clients navigate highly complex personal injury cases. Our team of personal injury attorneys in Austin have extensive trial experience—experience that we are prepared to put to work for you. We offer a compassionate, personalized approach, coupled with aggressive advocacy every step of the way. In every instance, we are focused on securing the best possible outcome for our clients.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
With nearly 25 years in practice, our firm has successfully handled all types of personal injury claims. We have earned a reputation for aggressively pursuing the best verdicts and settlements and we have the real courtroom experience needed to skillfully handle these cases.
Our firm can assist you with any of the following types of personal injury cases:
- Aviation accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Bus accidents
- Car accidents
- Catastrophic injuries
- Brain injuries
- Burn injuries
- Spine injuries
- Construction accidents
- Defective products
- Drug injuries
- Oilfield accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Motorcycle accidents
- Premises liability
- Truck accidents
- Wrongful death
If you or your loved one was severely injured due to someone else’s careless or reckless actions, our Austin attorneys can help you fight for the full, fair compensation you are owed. While financial recovery cannot undo the harm you have suffered, it can help with the cost of medical treatment, including immediate care, surgeries, ongoing rehabilitation therapy, and more.
Financial recovery can also help those who have lost wages and/or income as a result of having to take off work and may be used to compensate individuals who are no longer able to return to work at all. Our firm can help you understand your options and help you fight to secure the full and fair recovery you are owed for your pain and suffering.
If you were injured as a result of another person, company, or entity’s negligence or greed, contact our office at (512) 430-4844 for a free consultation.
How Long Do You Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Texas?
The statute of limitations to file a personal injury claim in Texas is two years. The statute of limitations is a law imposed on a state level that limits how long a claimant has to file a personal injury claim before they lose their right to do so along with their right to recover compensation. While there are some exceptions to this two-year time limit, it is important to speak to an attorney about the specifics of your case as soon as possible.
The first notable exception to this law is if the injury victim was of “unsound mind,” in other words, under a legal disability or if the injury victim was a minor at the time of the accident. In these cases, the statute of limitations is extended to years from the time the legal disability has ended or the minor turns 18 years old. Another exception is if the negligent party leaves the state of Texas before the lawsuit can be filed. In these cases, the period of time when the alleged negligent party is absent will not be counted as part of the two-year limit.
How to Find a Personal Injury Lawyer
After suffering an accident injury, finding the right personal injury attorney can be a daunting task. With so many attorneys to choose from and each offering different services, it is important to find someone who has the experience and skills necessary to handle your case. You want to find someone you can trust who will fight for your rights every step of the way. Additionally, you need an attorney who understands the complexities of personal injury law in order to get you the compensation that you deserve. It's not enough just to find any lawyer; it's essential that you find an experienced professional with a proven track record of success in representing clients like yourself.
Here are a few ways to identify quality representation when you are looking for a personal injury lawyer:
- Research Lawyers: Do your research to find an attorney with the right experience for your case. Check their website, read reviews from former clients and find out if they have been successful in similar cases.
- Ask Questions: Make sure you ask questions about their experience, fees and strategies for handling personal injury claims when you are interviewing potential lawyers.
- Check References: You should also ask for references from other satisfied clients who can provide testimonials as to the quality of service provided by the attorney in question.
- Consider Reputation: Look into a lawyer's professional reputation within the legal community; find out if they are members of any state or national organizations related to personal injury law, and review ratings on independent websites.
- Assess Communication Style/Bedside Manner: Find someone who communicates openly and clearly about every aspect of your claim so there is no room for misunderstandings. Good communication is key to a successful case, and it’s important to find an attorney who not only speaks your language but also has the ability to adapt their style to any situation.
Reach Out to Our Team Today for a Free Consultation!
We take the time to listen to your story, understand your goals, and devise the best plan of action for your unique situation. While we strive to help our clients avoid the time and stress of a trial, sometimes a fair settlement simply isn’t possible. When this is the case, we are not afraid to fight for you in the courtroom. Our Austin lawyers have earned recognition from numerous prestigious organizations and publications, including:
- Top 50 US Verdicts (Sean Breen 2017)
- Texas Verdicts Hall of Fame, (Sean Breen 2011 and 2016)
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum (Sean Breen 2011)
- National Top 100 Trial Lawyers Civil Plaintiff (Sean Breen since 2009)
- 7 Figure Litigators®
- 8 Figure Litigators® by America’s High-Stakes Litigators®, (Sean Breen since 2019 and Randy Howry since 2020)
- America's Top 100 - High Stakes Litigators by America’s Top 100 Attorneys®, (Randy Howry 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021 and Sean Breen since 2019)
At Howry Breen & Herman, we understand the severe, life-altering consequences of an accident. All too often, these accidents are caused by another person or entity’s negligence and, when this is the case, those negligent parties should be held accountable. Our team can act as your legal advocate and guide.
Contact our firm online or by phone at (512) 430-4844 to discuss your case with a dedicated and experienced attorney.